One of my thoughts this year was that I wanted to participate a little more in the blogging and beading communities. One way I’m trying to do this is by taking part in the operation tackle that beadstash (OTTBS) challenge and some of the beadalongs hosted in the friendly beaders facebook group.
This year, the ottbs challenge for January was two months long and was around the theme ‘in the shadows’. At first I had no idea what to do for this challenge and in January I wasn’t really feeling beading with all the change.
And then the friendly beaders had a beadalong for Sabine Lippert’s New Romance necklace. It’s a pretty necklace but a little over the top for my tastes, however I quickly saw people just making a few units and linking them simply. This caught my eye, so I sat down to see if I had the pieces to make it. I found three silvery beads for the centers and began to bead. I’m glad I did because I a) I really enjoyed it and b) I wear it all the time.
As I was making it, I realised that this was perfect for the ottbs challenge, even if just because of the colours. And even better I actually shared them with people and particpated. So here’s my coming out from in the shadows.
It’s been the birthday season in my life, so I made a whole bunch of cards and posted them before I took any pictures. I always make some extra cards around this time as well though, because I’m never as prepared at other times of year. And I managed to take some pictures of those cards.
I made quite a few of the log cabin cards but this is the only one left.I like making them but they make quite a bit of wastage with all the offcuts.
And then I was looking for an idea that would use up some of my stash of sequins and came up with using windows to frame them. I use the windows from envelops to hold them in. This gives a slightly frosted look but its free so I’ll stick with it for the moment. It took quite a bit of experimenting but it turns out double sided tape holds everything together best and doesn’t attach to the sequins. I have a whole load more sequins so I’m sure there’ll be of these in the future.
How have two months already happened, I’m still feeling all at sea with all the change in my life. And while it’s all positive, it is all still taking more energy than I’d anticipated, which means both the making and blogging are on the backburner for the moment.
So here is a list of the things on the go, most haven’t really been touched
- Fingerless Gloves – I’ve lost interest recently
- Fringed Handbag – No change
- Bead Embroidery Purse -No change
- Learning Curve Sampler Quilt – I’m still avoiding my machine
- Shoulder heat packs – No change
- Lip balm cozies – No change
- Wire wrapped seaglass necklace -No change
- EPP pillow case – No change
- A knitted cover for my hotwater bottle – I’m not sure about the sizing and might scrap it and start again
- A peyote stitch beaded case for business cards – this is going to be a long project but it’s using some of my carefully collected stash of purple bead and is beautiful already
And the finishes this month:
- The new romance necklace – I will post about this one, when the next ottbs challenge is announced
- Some birthday cards (I didn’t take any pictures before sending them though)