English Paper Piecing

I started some English paper piecing in about February 2016 and I am now calling it finished. I have square 18” panel as originally I planned to make a cushion cover. However I only have one cushion and it has a cover at the moment, so I don’t really need another one. I’m not sure what I will make with the panel yet but I guess it will be used for something.

For the english paper piecing, I printed the templates (2″ Hexagons)  from the internet,  I think I ended up using two different sites as one set has an extra set of writing on the hexagons. I then cut up the papers myself – yes it took a while but its pretty easy and I almost definitely did it while I was watching tv.

About to take up #epp

A post shared by Shyeni Paul (@makingshyeni) on

I made a template for myself,  by drawing round a hexagon on some card and adding a quarter inch. I then used that to cut the hexagons from the fabric. I used a set of fabric I bought back in 2015 at the Country Living Fair + another piece that my mother had chosen from the same collection. I’m sure I’ve written about it in the past but I can’t find it anywhere so maybe I hadn’t so here goes. My mum took me and my sister to the 2015 Country Living Christmas Fair and at some point I wandered off slightly and bought a fat quarter bundle of this Asian themed fabric (I’m pretty sure its Asami for Makower UK from googling but I don’t have any selvedges). When I then showed it to my mum, she pulled a face rather than a more normal comment. She then owned up to having bought fat quarter from the collection (but luckily not one in my bundle) to put in my Christmas stocking. Just goes to prove how well she knows me.

I glue basted my hexagons, using a pritt stick – its a washable glue that’s fairly removable so I figured it would be ok and it was. Now that I have had to unpick all the papers, I would definitely use less glue to baste the papers. I basted the papers for the hexagons I used to square up the edges at the end of the project and I used much less glue on those ones and they were far easier to remove.

Once I had basted my hexagons I sewed 4 matching ones  together into a diamond shape. I really didn’t want to make flowers. At some point I worked out how many diamonds I would need to make a cushion cover, I think my cushion is 18” by 18”. I only cut out enough hexagons to do the panel. Sewing the hexagons into the diamonds was a very portable little project so I did do it all over the place. I started by using whipstitch to attach the hexagons, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t make them invisible. I then switched to ladder stitch (is that it’s name? when you hold them flat rather than face to face and go across). It much less visible but I had to be careful to keep it tight so they stay next to each other.

cof
My diagram

Once I had all the diamonds, I planned the layout and drew a diagram for myself. At this point it became less portable but still manageable to do on a sofa. The combination of the two types of hexagons caused some issues with fitting the hexagons together but I just had to ease them together. Its a little wobbly now its finished but I reckon a good press would sort it out. Once I had the diamonds done, I added a few extra hexagons to help square it up. Taking the papers out was a little tricky due to the amount of glue I had used but I got them out in the end.

nor
The last paper

So now it is done. Sort of. I’ll put it away for now and one day I’ll put it to use.

cof
The finished panel

 

Advertisements

One thought on “English Paper Piecing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s