Pottery

This is going to be a picture post of my recent pottery finishes.

I made a mug. Its beautiful but unfortunately not waterproof. When I first got it home I washed it and the based wasn’t fully sealed so water seeped in and cracked the glaze. I’ve since sealed the base but liquid can still seep through the glaze. I’m not yet sure what I will do with it.

I have made a variety of small dishes and statuettes. These were done over a few months and the petal bowl is one of my favourite pieces.

These were tiled pieces. I was really trying to make smooth pieces with good edges. In general this worked well, although the painting of the door sign wasn’t what I wanted.

Divali is in November and I wanted to make some divas in time. I’m pretty pleased with these especially the bigger two.

Advertisements

The longest project?

Once upon a time, I was a broke student who wandered into accessorize and fell in love with some beaded purses. Due to the brokeness, I couldn’t buy them but it was when I was doing a lot of sewing, so I decided to make one.

The sewing of the bag happened in a day. Unfortunately that was so long ago, I have no idea if I used a pattern (unlikely) or made it up.

And then I began beading. Again I have no idea if I made the bead mix specially or if I owned it already. The drop beads came from a lady in my meetup group.

The reason I cant remember these details is because I started this bag approximately 4 years ago.

IMAG0208

The first fringe was small and made with beads I owned – seedbeads and drops. It took forever. So I made the decision to make the next layers longer. I also bought beads for these layers. The second layer is bugle beads and black and silver pips. The third layer is seed bead, bugels, seed beads and a mix of pips and drops.

cof
The last inch

 

I did a lot of the beading at the craft meetups I used to attend in London. I also used to take this project back to Chester a lot. I used to keep all the bits inside the bag hence the transportability.

mde

Its a fabulous handbag. Its a fairly spacious bag which I like. I wore it out to a wedding and felt fabulous. It was almost worth waiting for.

 

Daisy bauble

This bauble began with the thought that it would be cool to cover a bauble in daisies. I had previously made a daisy swatch and used it in my embellished wall hanging. The swatch was made by sewing a daisy and attaching it to the nearest one. This worked for an organic shape but I had no idea how to make it work to cover a bauble.

Then at one of my beading groups, there were some magazines being given away and among the things that caught my eye was a necklace, where a cotton rope had been covered with daisies. For this necklace the daisies had been stitched in a chain and then the chain swirled around the rope and fixed. And there was my method of covering a bauble.

I started beading the daisy chain with a bead mix I had already made up. I still separated out the beads so each daisy is an individual colour. However I was then running low on the mix so I made up another one, and I made much more of the new one than I had of the original – oops.

To ensure I had a mixture of the old bead mix and new mix and not a gradient from one to the other I made a whole load of chains before starting to attach them.

mde
Halfway

The attaching stage was dull and tricksy. There is a reasonable amount of thread (fireline) showing but you have to look fairly closely for it to be distracting.

It took three rounds of making chains and attaching them. By some magic the last batch of chains exactly fitted the gap I had left. I have no idea how it happened but I am so glad the chains weren’t too long and I didn’t have to cut any off.

cof
Finished

I’m really pleased with the effect but I wont be doing another anytime soon.

 

September 2018

Back in July, I moved house and now I have a craft room. This meant that I unpacked all my supplies and saw how many things I have on the go and those I’ve planned for but not started. So in an effort to feel ok to start some new things and not feel too bogged down into long term repetitive projects, I decided to finish some things.

Admittedly I started with those closest to being finished but it’s still a different list from last month.

  1. Quilt – 3 handsewing panels have been prepped
  2. Beaded purse – no change
  3. Peyote card case – no change
  4. Jumper – no change
  5. Epp stars – Row 4/7 is complete
  6. Beaded ornament made from daisy chains – I’m now about halfway through but I will need to make more chains
  7. Beaded chain mail necklace – no change

Finishes this month are:

  1. Secret bead along necklace
  2. The beaded handbag
  3. Bead crochet – I turned it into a hoop

Pottery on the go is:

  1. Jewellery box
  2. Multiple divas

And finished pottery

  1. Tiny decorative bowl
  2. Whale statuette

I’m pretty busy again in September but I’ve decided not to give myself an epp quilt deadline this month, if I do stuff that’s great but if not that’s ok. I’m hoping to start some knitting but lets see what happens. Its probably also time to think about Christmas presents if I do want to make any.

The feature image is my craft room and desk. Although very busy in August, I didn’t take any pictures.