I finished this cross stitch. Finally, it felt like I was working on it for ages. While I did like the process, I think I might stick to smaller projects in the future. In fairness I think I finished it quite quickly but because I’ve had so many long term projects on the go, everything has felt quite slow. Maybe I just need to stagger things a little more.
I showed you my planning before. But pretty much every time I started a motif I went and looked at what I’d decided and changed the colours a little. I actually cut down the number of colours I was planning on using quite a bit. For instance all the leaves are more or less done in the same colour which wasn’t the original plan. I just felt it need some cohesion as I was going along. I worked symmetrically adding one colour at a time, which meant I could change colours as I was going along.
The finished object and the plan
How I chose different colour combos
Most of the time I knew straight away which colour combos I was going to use, but when I didn’t my deciding goes like this. Put it next to the area its going and take a picture. Looking at the pattern through the screen, changes it a little and distances you. I find it much easier to tell what looks better after having taken the pictures. In general I’m pretty happy with the colour choices. I’m not entirely convinced by the pale pink but not sure what else would go there, so for now it stays.
Front and Back
I always think that my cross stitch is a pretty good analogy for my life in general. From the front, it looks pretty perfect (Even if I do say so myself – and yes I know I still been to iron off the markings ect) and the back is mildly chaotic. I’ve never been some one who could align all my stitches perfectly on the back as well as the front. However as it doesn’t seem to stop me making it look lovely or (as far as I know) make it any harder, things are unlikely to change. I’m also not really a finisher, which is why it’s on my shelf and still hasn’t had the markings ironed off.