I’ve been trying hard to take slim down my list a little bit and finally finish off some of the long-timers. I think I have managed one a month so far, although I’m pretty sure I’ve added at least that many things to it but at least they are new projects.
I’ve been all over the place for a few months so haven’t had much time to write them up so here is a wrap up post of everything.
The most recent finish is my beaded scarf. This was my first attempt at knitting with beads after seeing Laerke Bagger on Instagram and being hooked on the idea. I used a DK wool and size 8 seed beads. This was a pretty snug fit, and meant that all though the beads fitted on the wool, they didn’t slide along it, so I had to shuffle them along the wool manually. This took quite a long time. I put lots of beads on the wool at the beginning and then just pushed them up the wool leaving some behind in rough gaps. The scarf is just basic knitting with three beads per row, on one side only. I spaced the beads randomly and just mixed it up as I went along trying to make it look evenly placed but not still random. I’m pretty happy with how the beads look. It’s fairly narrow so I made it pretty long and it wraps round twice. When I do it again, I’ll use skinnier yarn and/or larger beads so they slide around. I really want to try more densely packing the beads and playing around with patterns in the beads, but that can wait for a little while (although I did start to buy larger beads already).
My finish in September was some cards. I’m trying to get into the habit of making them a little more regularly, especially the embroidery ones as they are enjoyable to do and can be pretty gender neutral. I experimented with a whole range of new patterns this time and some have worked better than others. I really like the graphicness of the black on white one and the purple triangles and copper triangles are also one’s I’ll repeat. I’m less sure on the colour of the triangles in a circle and I think I went for too many sections but I might play with it again. I’m less fussed with the other two but they are fine and I’m sure they will be used.
The other unblogged finish is my Ivy trails necklace. The pattern is from my beadandbutton magazine ( edition) and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to make it. I think I bought the leaf beads the same week I saw the pattern. The pearls (swarovski) are from my stash and were bought with my store discount while I still worked at the bead shop. I then ordered the majority of the other components, so that it was a coherent piece. Its a stunning piece and pretty eye catching.
While I was waiting for the beads for the Ivy trails necklace to arrive I made this necklace. The original pattern is from another beadandbutton magazine but because I only used bits from my stash, I had to modify it a little. Its a good colour match for my wardrobe so gets worn a fair bit.
I’ve actually ticked off most of the easier long term projects but that just means I’ll have to make some headway into the others. Hopefully I’ll be back soon to tell you about the next one.